Friday, March 30, 2012

running a vb .net exe as a sql agent job

I'm primarily a vb .net developer, doubling (as many of us have to) as a sql
2000 dba.
I'm having difficulty running a vb.net exe as a sql agent job. I figured
out that sql 2000 can't really run a windows forms exe, as it thinks it
needs user interaction. However, since it can run an activex script, can it
also run a windows service produced in visual studio 2003?
Thanks for any help.
Bernie Yaeger
As I posted within .programming
I thought that windows service ran interactively (without the need to call
them via the command line)? It should be possible to run any exe that does
not have a gui and that does not require user interaction. There are
permissions issues that you will need to consider if you are not calling the
exe as dbo.
Keith
"Bernie Yaeger" <berniey@.cherwellinc.com> wrote in message
news:fETEc.60920$OT6.24612300@.news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net...
> I'm primarily a vb .net developer, doubling (as many of us have to) as a
sql
> 2000 dba.
> I'm having difficulty running a vb.net exe as a sql agent job. I figured
> out that sql 2000 can't really run a windows forms exe, as it thinks it
> needs user interaction. However, since it can run an activex script, can
it
> also run a windows service produced in visual studio 2003?
> Thanks for any help.
> Bernie Yaeger
>
|||I'm curious, could you use xp_cmdshell and see if you could run it from
Query analyser, before you test it on sqlagent?
Vikram Jayaram
Microsoft, SQL Server
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Subscribe to MSDN & use http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups.

No comments:

Post a Comment