Friday, March 30, 2012

running backup and restore...

I had my IT dept. install sql server 2005 enterprise edition on a new windows server 2003. All other machines are running sql 2000 server on windows server 2000. I am a sa and local admin on all servers. I tried performing copy database, backup and restore and detach and attach to upgrade the sql server 2000 databases to 2005 and all fail. They also installed sql server 2005 sp2. I followed all steps. It's like the servers dont talk to each other. Their all on the company's domain. I am wondering if something happen with the install but the IT dept. insist that everything went fine. It's strange that I can't perform a simple backup and restore it on the new server buy when I click on restore it doesn't let me browse to get the backup file on the 2000 server. I never had a problem in Sql 2000 with backup. Can it be the installation was corrupted somehow. It seems fine. I haven't created any new databases because I wanted to move the databases from sql 2000. Can anyone help me get a clue of what the problem is please?

ThanksSounds like the service account for the SQL Server 2005 service has no network rights. Try copying the backup file locally, then doing the restore.

No comments:

Post a Comment