Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Running a report to populate a cell

Hello,
I need to run several reports using the information in couple of cells of a
table as input parameters, and eventually create a report combining the
result from sub queries into one report.
In other words:
ColA ColB ColC ColD
9898 001 145
8789 000 454
I would like to run a query for every row using ColA and ColB as input
parameter and populate ColD accordingly
Is this possible in Reporting Services?I knew It was a bit cryptical ;)
I am not sure how to accomplish what you mentioned. The current report has
over 200 rows, would it be possible to create 400+ parameters and run
queries for each pair that way?
Here is a more detailed explanation of what I am trying to do
The data is about stock items in our inventory
so each line lists a stock item and some info on it like where it sits, how
many do we have etc.
For each line I need to run a query to get me how many we shipped last year.
then I will extend this and run a query for each item to get setup costs
etc.
the end result will be one table with all the detailed information, the
intend is to generate a formula to determine safety stock levels and reorder
quantities electronically
Thanks
"Skeptical" <skep@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:%23gnfkdveEHA.3028@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
> I need to run several reports using the information in couple of cells of
a
> table as input parameters, and eventually create a report combining the
> result from sub queries into one report.
> In other words:
> ColA ColB ColC ColD
> 9898 001 145
> 8789 000 454
>
> I would like to run a query for every row using ColA and ColB as input
> parameter and populate ColD accordingly
> Is this possible in Reporting Services?
>|||Take a look at the sample reports that come with SRS... the product catalog
example sounds a lot like what you're looking for.
Rather than creat 400+ parameters in a single report, the reports are broken
down by subject matter and detail level. Then, via initiating actions (see
SRS books online) a row value is presented as a hyperlink. When the user
clicks the link, it passes the value as a parameter to another report which
is generated. Although it is another report, it appears to the user as the
same report/site.
Good luck!
X
"Skeptical" wrote:
> I knew It was a bit cryptical ;)
> I am not sure how to accomplish what you mentioned. The current report has
> over 200 rows, would it be possible to create 400+ parameters and run
> queries for each pair that way?
> Here is a more detailed explanation of what I am trying to do
> The data is about stock items in our inventory
> so each line lists a stock item and some info on it like where it sits, how
> many do we have etc.
> For each line I need to run a query to get me how many we shipped last year.
> then I will extend this and run a query for each item to get setup costs
> etc.
> the end result will be one table with all the detailed information, the
> intend is to generate a formula to determine safety stock levels and reorder
> quantities electronically
> Thanks
>
>
> "Skeptical" <skep@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:%23gnfkdveEHA.3028@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I need to run several reports using the information in couple of cells of
> a
> > table as input parameters, and eventually create a report combining the
> > result from sub queries into one report.
> >
> > In other words:
> >
> > ColA ColB ColC ColD
> > 9898 001 145
> > 8789 000 454
> >
> >
> > I would like to run a query for every row using ColA and ColB as input
> > parameter and populate ColD accordingly
> >
> > Is this possible in Reporting Services?
> >
> >
>
>|||Thanks,
Well does it store the new value in the cell or does it calculate it once
the user clicks on the cell? I think I found a way of easily doing it rather
than going through all the cells.
I run the first one and store it in a temp table then I run the second and
store it in a temp table and left outer join them into one master table.
I do not know if Reporting Services would let me play with temp tables yet,
but if it could I am almost done.
I have never seen those example reports, sounds like they worth a look.
Thanks again for your input
"Xfonhe" <Xfonhe@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E9C07F89-F7A6-46D8-ACE8-00390DB859B3@.microsoft.com...
> Take a look at the sample reports that come with SRS... the product
catalog
> example sounds a lot like what you're looking for.
> Rather than creat 400+ parameters in a single report, the reports are
broken
> down by subject matter and detail level. Then, via initiating actions (see
> SRS books online) a row value is presented as a hyperlink. When the user
> clicks the link, it passes the value as a parameter to another report
which
> is generated. Although it is another report, it appears to the user as the
> same report/site.
> Good luck!
> X
>
> "Skeptical" wrote:
> > I knew It was a bit cryptical ;)
> >
> > I am not sure how to accomplish what you mentioned. The current report
has
> > over 200 rows, would it be possible to create 400+ parameters and run
> > queries for each pair that way?
> >
> > Here is a more detailed explanation of what I am trying to do
> >
> > The data is about stock items in our inventory
> >
> > so each line lists a stock item and some info on it like where it sits,
how
> > many do we have etc.
> >
> > For each line I need to run a query to get me how many we shipped last
year.
> > then I will extend this and run a query for each item to get setup costs
> > etc.
> >
> > the end result will be one table with all the detailed information, the
> > intend is to generate a formula to determine safety stock levels and
reorder
> > quantities electronically
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Skeptical" <skep@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:%23gnfkdveEHA.3028@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I need to run several reports using the information in couple of cells
of
> > a
> > > table as input parameters, and eventually create a report combining
the
> > > result from sub queries into one report.
> > >
> > > In other words:
> > >
> > > ColA ColB ColC ColD
> > > 9898 001 145
> > > 8789 000 454
> > >
> > >
> > > I would like to run a query for every row using ColA and ColB as
input
> > > parameter and populate ColD accordingly
> > >
> > > Is this possible in Reporting Services?
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >

No comments:

Post a Comment