Tuesday, February 21, 2012

RSS feed with ISO8859 encoding

We have an XML source that reads an RSS feed. The document uses ISO8859 encoding, which causes an error in SSIS: "System does not support ISO8859 encoding". Is there any way around this?

Thanks,
Dirk

Is there no one who can assist me with this topic?
Is it maybe possible to get a list of supported encodings from somewhere?

Best regard,
Dirk|||Likely this is by design.
I will get back to you after some more confirmation.

Thanks|||

Andy Conrad (XmlDataReader dev) confirmed
"I don’t think System.Xml supports that encoding. Only the encodings in system.text.encoding are supported. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfsystemtextencodingclasstopic.asp
"
Thanks

|||AFAIK, there is no such thing as ISO-8859 encoding.
There are several very different encodings defined by ISO 8859
standard, e.g. iso-8859-1 (Latin 1), iso-8859-5 (Cyrillic), etc.
I believe any of these are supported.

I could not check the task now, but tested that
Encoding.GetEncoding("ISO-8859-1");
works fine, while
Encoding.GetEncoding("ISO8859");
throws an error "'ISO8859' is not a supported encoding name".

So the "ISO8859" without suffix is not a legal encoding,
the feed is not correct.|||You were all right. I had the code ISO8859-15 in my feed, but as described the code is not supported. I didn't knew the importance of the "-xx" at the end so I did not post my extension "-15".

After some mails with the developer of the feed I was able to get the RSS feed now with "UTF-8" encoding - This works perfect!

Thanks for the help!

No comments:

Post a Comment