Tuesday, February 21, 2012

RTM install order with VS2005 ?

With the RTM versions of SQL 2005 and VS 2005, does it matter which order they are installed in, or now that they are all on the same version of the .NET framework, does installation order no longer matter ?

Also, are there any issues/gotchas with installing SQL 2005 Developer edition and SQL 2005 Express from the VS2005 RTM on the same machine ?

During the betas, there were all sorts of hoops you had to jump through, and do things in certain orders, but with RTM will the standard installs of SQL 2005 Developer, VS 2005 and SQL 2005 Express all work regardless of install order ?

Thanks,
Andy Mackie.Order shouldn't matter at all any more, nor should there be any gotchas with the SxS scenario you describe.|||It shouldn't matter, but I stuck with the MS recommendations of VS2005 first - using a custom install so it did not install SQL Express - then SQL 2005 all up.
No problems at all
HTH,
Richard
|||Hello Richard,
I was wondering if you or anyone has had success installing VS2005 first, including Express Edition of SQL Server, and then installing the whole SQL Server on top of that. It seems to have problems installing the management tools - notably SQL Server Managemetn Studio - when I do it in that order.

What I'm really asking is if it's possible to install SSMS if you already have SQL Express 2005 installed?|||

Hi Robert,

I installed VS2005, but explicitly excluded SQL Express edition. I then did a full install of SQL Server 2005.

In theory I don't see why you should not be able to install JUST the client tools onto your machine, using the SQL server disks. I did an install a while back with no client tools on the server, then realised I needed to add them in. I was able to add them in OK.

I have a feeling that VS2005 puts it's own set of client tools on when you put Enterprise edition on, which may give you problems. Presumably you can Uninstall the EE components using the VS2005 disks, then put on SQL server?

Hope this helps,

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment