Tuesday, February 21, 2012

RTF Fields

I think this has been asked before so apologies in advance. However, I stil
have not found a solution or workaround.
I need to print RTF data in a reports but cannot think of any way of doing
this, short of creating a rendering extension - which is not documented (yet).
I thought maybe SP2 would have something for this but I don't seem to be
able to get access to the beta (I've been waiting since last week for
access). Maybe SQL 2005 RS B2 has this ability? Either one of these options
would be acceptable.
Can someone tell me wether I should wait for SP2, use SQL 2005 or hand code
the report? If I go with 2005 can I still use VS.Net 2003?
Sorry, lots of questions for such a simple (?) thing.
ThanksNative RTF support is still on the wishlist for a future release.
The closest you can get today is to write your own custom assembly which
converts the RTF contents from the database field into a bitmap image (as
byte array). The image can then be used inside the report - you don't need
to write a rendering extension.
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Jonesie" <Jonesie@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6DF7872D-61FF-459D-A9C9-6DE035BCAD29@.microsoft.com...
> I think this has been asked before so apologies in advance. However, I
stil
> have not found a solution or workaround.
> I need to print RTF data in a reports but cannot think of any way of doing
> this, short of creating a rendering extension - which is not documented
(yet).
> I thought maybe SP2 would have something for this but I don't seem to be
> able to get access to the beta (I've been waiting since last week for
> access). Maybe SQL 2005 RS B2 has this ability? Either one of these
options
> would be acceptable.
> Can someone tell me wether I should wait for SP2, use SQL 2005 or hand
code
> the report? If I go with 2005 can I still use VS.Net 2003?
> Sorry, lots of questions for such a simple (?) thing.
> Thanks
>|||Thanks for the prompt reply. I thought about doing something like this but
it's not that easy unfortunately as the RTF is mixed with other not RTF data
in the same report.
I've resorted to hand coding these 2 or 3 reports and will keep the RDL
versions around until the wish list beomes a reality list.
Thanks
"Robert Bruckner [MSFT]" wrote:
> Native RTF support is still on the wishlist for a future release.
> The closest you can get today is to write your own custom assembly which
> converts the RTF contents from the database field into a bitmap image (as
> byte array). The image can then be used inside the report - you don't need
> to write a rendering extension.
> --
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> "Jonesie" <Jonesie@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6DF7872D-61FF-459D-A9C9-6DE035BCAD29@.microsoft.com...
> > I think this has been asked before so apologies in advance. However, I
> stil
> > have not found a solution or workaround.
> >
> > I need to print RTF data in a reports but cannot think of any way of doing
> > this, short of creating a rendering extension - which is not documented
> (yet).
> >
> > I thought maybe SP2 would have something for this but I don't seem to be
> > able to get access to the beta (I've been waiting since last week for
> > access). Maybe SQL 2005 RS B2 has this ability? Either one of these
> options
> > would be acceptable.
> >
> > Can someone tell me wether I should wait for SP2, use SQL 2005 or hand
> code
> > the report? If I go with 2005 can I still use VS.Net 2003?
> >
> > Sorry, lots of questions for such a simple (?) thing.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment